Sunday, February 12, 2012

After successfully completing our first furniture project, I began to look for a new twin bed for Spencer.  Once again, I was disgusted at the cost to purchase a twin bed.  And, let's be honest I didn't want just one bed....No,No,No that would be way to easy.  I wanted TWO twin beds as I had this plan that Spencer and our 2nd born would be sharing a bedroom.  (And, if the bedroom was to look cute in any way, the beds just had to match.)  So, after shopping for sometime and realizing that purchasing a nice quality twin bed + matresses I was looking at anywhere from $350-$500 per bed x 2 beds=$700-$1000 I.  So, decided I better turn back to my most favorite resource.  (Ana White.com)

I have to admit I was a little frightened of this project.  I was worried that the beds just might not turn out right, and we were about to spend $250 on wood at the store.  My husband, Nick on the other hand thought this project would be easy as pie.  He had all the confidence in the world.  I mean, after all he had just been my number 1 carpenter and helped me build ...(ok done most of the building)...of the farmhouse table I recently posted about. 

As I stated in my previous post, I had no idea that I would decide to share my family furniture making adventure with the world, but here I am sharing this journey with you.  I don't have the before pictures but, the finished product looks like this. 
Pin It

Project plans  

Don't worry, it might have taken us another 3 months to come up with a decorating theme for the co-ed  room Spencer will someday share with his little sister Josie but, we finally came up with a plan.  (More about decorating the kids room later).  For now just marvel with me that the total cost of two brand new and beautiful beds was (DRUM ROLL...please) $250 for lumber + $100 for each mattress= $450!  WOW almost a 50% savings from the retail price at the store!  I guess a little bit of hard work does pay off.

No comments: