Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Once the beds were made I then decided I just had to have a new dresser for the room.  The existing dresser was small, and more of a baby changing table than a true dresser.  Once again I started looking at furniture stores and craigslist hoping to find the perfect piece and the perfect price.  (That price for me was something less than $100).  Affter much searching I found absolutely nothing of quality that I liked in my price range. As I was surfing my favorite furniture maker /stay at home mom's blog I ran across one of her favorite blogs that began to explain the process of repainting furniture. 

This women's creations were absolutely amazing and beautiful.  I really wanted to give furniuture painting a try and figured I could find a great piece at our local thrift store.  I searched for three or four weeks before settling on a dresser I found for $40 at my local Bonner Springs thrift store.  I was so excited!  I dragged Nick up to look at the piece, he was less than impressed.  I then asked ever so sweetly for my sister and brother-in-law to allow me to use their truck so I could go pick up the dresser. 

Nick and my brother-in-law actually went to pick up the dresser (I mean this thing probably weighs 80-100 lbs. (Hey, it's quality craftsmanship!  The doors are dovetail construction and the piece was manufactured in North Carolina).  Having arranged all of this, it was obvious my mind was made up that this was the perfect piece. However, I still  received an almost panicked call from husband while my at the thrift store.  "Katie, are you sure this is the piece you want?  I'm REALLY not feeling this.  And, it's really HEAVY, not to mention that it will be a nightmare to  to move."

"Yes, honey I'm sure this is the piece I want.  I know how much you love me because your doing this for me!" I replied. 


The dresser Nick went to pick up.  I'm sure you can understand his panic!

Well, begrundgly Nick and my brother in law Travis delivered my $40 dresser to the house.  Nick was positive we had just wasted $40.  Travis didn't say much, but you could tell he was also on the skeptical side.  I went to the paint store the next day and the project began.  I was amazed at how every step of the way the dresser just looked better and better. 

First I took off the ugly hardware and wood filled the holes left from the hardware.


Then we sanded just the top slab of the dresser

The middle door was removed and the entire dresser (except the top slab was primed)


The dresser was then painted in two coats of  Sherwin Williams paint.
Color=classic.  Type of paint- interior acrylic latex.


I then distressed the dresser with 60 grit sand paper, and used a stain/glaze combination to wipe over the entire dresser.  Finally two coats of polyurethane were added.    Added some hardware then VIOLA!!

The picture quality is a little poor due to the picture be taken on my blackeberry phone.  Sorry!


See the distressing created by the sandpaper?

Close up of the distressing technique and glaze compination.  Hardware is a surf/beach theme which cordinates with Spencer and Josie's room.

Have questions?  Be sure to leave a comment and I will do my best to answer any questions that you may have.



2 comments:

Patrick Johnson said...

I'm quite impressed Katie. Turned out great!

Katie Reed said...

Thanks Pat! That means a lot coming from you :)